Official Bylaws for the Excelsior Farmers' Market
Adopted by Excelsior Growers Association members, November 4, 2010.
The Excelsior Farmers’ Market is a market in which growers, farmers and producers sell their own products directly to the public, allowing consumers to have a direct relationship with the producers of the items they purchase. It operates as a closed market, which means the managers and members have the discretion to select the types and variety of vendors they believe will strengthen the market operations. Product flow will be closely monitored and evaluated on supply and demand.
Application and Fees
1. The following items are approved for sale:
3. All produce, fruits, herbs, plants, etc. must be grown on Vendor’s owned or rented property. Vendor must plant, maintain, harvest and market any and all of the produce Vendor brings to Market for sale.
4. Products not listed on the vendor’s application may not be sold at any time at the market. Market management has the right to require the vendor to remove products.
5. Product sold as certified organic must have originated from an Organic- grown Certified Farm. See application for required documentation.
6. Farmers and growers who are not Certified Organic may advertise or sell produce as “Chemical Free” only if they practice Chemical-Free farming.
7. Items sold by weight units of measure require a Minnesota State Certified Scale. All other items must be sold by bulk, bundle or individual items.
8. All food items must be prepared, displayed and stored in accordance with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Minnesota Department of Health and Hennepin County Community Health Department.
9. Market management has the right to inspect crops and production areas at any time before or during the market season to verify compliance with the EGA requirements.
10. Any craft-related products that may be considered and approved by the Market Manager must have yard- or garden-related applications or uses, but may also be approved at the discretion of the Market Manager.
General Market Guidelines
1. The Excelsior Farmers’ Market has a strict agreement with the owners of the market site wherein no vehicles are permitted to enter the lot before 1 PM. Therefore, vendors may set up at 1:00 PM but not before that time on Market days. A Market Manager will be on site at 1 PM to check vendors in, and answer questions. (This clause may be amended once a new location for the market is confirmed.)
2. Market will begin at exactly 2 p.m. No presales are allowed. Failure to comply with the starting time may result in a $20 fine and/or loss of future selling privileges. All vendors must remain open until 6 p.m. All vehicles are to remain in place until this time. Exceptions may be made if vendor is sold out or has a prior commitment; please contact Market Manager if departing early is necessary.
3. For public safety, no moving vehicles will be allowed in the market area between 1:45 p.m. and 6 p.m. If vendor arrives after 1:45 p.m., vendor will be required to immediately move vehicle off market lot and walk supplies/equipment to and from stall. Failure to comply may result a loss of future selling privileges. (This clause may be amended once a new location for the market is confirmed.)
4. Vendors who have a concern about conduct and/or the prices of another vendor’s products should contact the market management so the concern can be addressed appropriately. Vendors who engage in criticism or inappropriate conduct toward other vendors may be fined.
5. Stalls must comply with the sizes published in the EFM Application (single: 10 x 10, or double: 10 x 20). All items must be contained within the stall(s) including tents, boxes, promotional items, signs.
6. Vendors are responsible for supplying their own tables, chairs, tents, canopies, etc., for display. Tents and canopies must be weighted down at all times.
7. Stall space will be assigned to allow for the best product mix and traffic flow. Market staff has the authority move and reassign stall spaces to enhance or facilitate market operations.
8. Stall space is not transferable.
9. There is no overnight parking within the Market perimeter.
10. Selling of live animals at the market is not permitted.
11. General cleanliness of market is everyone’s responsibility. All vendors are required to keep their area neat while selling and to remove all trash from the site no later than one hour after market closes. Large trash items generated by the vendor or vendor’s customers must be removed from the site by the vendor for disposal at an appropriate site (not private garbage bins in Excelsior).
12. The EFM does not, and will not, accept CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) in EFM, and prohibits CSA’s from operating on EFM lot.
13. All market vendors should represent themselves in an appropriate manner, dress and state of cleanliness. Shirts and shoes must be worn. All displays must be neat and tasteful.
14. Alcoholic beverages, smoking and vendors’ pets are prohibited at the Market.
15. Prices, terms of sale, etc. are between the buyer and seller only. All vendors agree to abide by fair business practices.
16. Market members are a team. Vendors are expected to act professionally toward fellow vendors and patrons. If there is a complaint, it should be lodged with the market manager AFTER market hours, if possible.
17. Any vendor who is not complying with market policies may be fined and/or terminated accordingly.
to stay up-to-date!
Excelsior Farmers' Market Location and Hours
New day! Tuesdays
May - Oct
from 2 - 6 PM
The Market is located on Water Street in downtown Excelsior between 2nd and 3rd Streets.
Parking is available at Excelsior Elementary School (map/directions), and both public lots behind Water Street.